- April 27, 2018
- Posted by: Mega Immigration
- Category: Study In Canada, Study Visa
Canada Student Visa New Rules | SDS Requirements and Eligibility for Indian students
What is Study Direct Stream (SDS)?
Canadian Government recently launces new program for Indian students under the name of Study Direct Stream (SDS). The Study Direct Stream (SDS) Program will speed up the study visa processing for full-time students who are applying for universities and colleges in Canada. There are few major changes in SDS program for Indian students as compared to SPP program (Student Partners Program). The Study Direct Stream (SDS) Program is also supported by Scotiabank, a leading Canadian financial institution which also supports SPP program for Indian students. Scotiabank will provide eligible Indian students with the opportunity to purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), which will satisfy the financial statement requirements of the SDS program to apply for Canadian student visa from India under new rules.
Study Direct Stream (SDS) Program Requirements for Indian students
Requirements to study in Canada for Indian students under Study Direct Stream (SDS) program are different as compared to SPP. Indian students applying for a Canada study visa under new rules known as SDS must meet the following eligibility criteria to study in Canada from India:
- Admission to a full-time program in a publicly-funded post-secondary institution for international students such as universities, colleges, institutes or CÉGEP.
- An IELTS score with a minimum band of 6 for each (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) taken within past two years as compared to 5.5 band in SPP.
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotiabank of CAD $10,000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada while studying in Canada as International student.
- Proof of payment of the tuition fee for one (1) year which is previously six (6) months under SPP.
- Upfront medical examination at least one week before submission of the application for student visa under new rules to Canadian High Commission.
Advantages of applying Canada study visa under Study Direct Stream (SDS) for Indian students
The major advantages of applying Canada student visa from India under Study Direct Stream (SDS) program as compared to other categories are:
- Streamlined visa process for all SDS eligible institutions.
- Less financial documentation required under SDS program as compared to any other category.
- Faster visa processing time under SDS category as compared to SPP category.
Top Reasons to Study in Canada for Indian Students
There are many advantages for Indian students to studying in Canada as compared to any other study abroad destinations. Top reasons to study in Canada for Indian students are:
- Easy PR opportunities for Indian students as compared to any other country
- World class institutions offering various level of education to international students
- Low tuition fee and living expense as compared to any other country with high quality infrastructure
- And a safe and healthy environment for Indian students to study
If you still have some doubts about Study Direct Stream (SDS) or want to ask few more questions about Canada student visa new rules, we are happy to help you. You can contact Canada student visa consultants to clear all your doubts.